September 19, 2009

A day of celebration - 19.09.09

I was six years old when my mom brought home our very first birthday cake. It was for my sister’s 10th birthday celebration and we had this small little party at home. Until today, the image of the cake is still vivid in my memory - a round cake covered with chocolate butter cream and sprinkles of chocolate rice. Cakes in those days, the 1980s to be exact, were just butter cream. They were yummy to the eyes but not to the taste buds. Regardless of that, my sister’s birthday marked a very important event in our household. It started the birthday cake tradition and introduced us to the rituals of blowing candles, making a wish and unwrapping gifts. And that was exactly 25 years ago – 19.9.1984.




Ever since my mom started the birthday cake tradition, I have been infatuated with birthdays. I love celebrating birthdays and I used to be so obsessed with the idea of having a perfect birthday, getting the perfect gift and wearing the perfect outfit. But now that I’m in Kampung Riccarton, I realized what I miss most is not the party, the gifts or the cake. What I really miss is that moment we sing “Happy Birthday” to the birthday girl/ boy. That moment of togetherness and joy you share with your family and friends. That’s what makes a birthday special.

Today, as my sister celebrates her 35th birthday (sorry to remind you sis!) I will be here, cheering from afar. I may not be able to share that moment of togetherness this year but I’ll sure be there next year. Have a splendid birthday!

Age is strictly a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. - Jack Benny

And what does your birth date say about you? - 19.09.09- Here are the answers...
  • You are resilient, and no doubt your resilience has already been tested. (True!)
  • You've had some difficult experiences in your life, but you are wise from them. (True!)
  • Having had to grow up quickly, you tend to discount the advice of others. (Only those who pandai-pandai advise)
  • You tend to be a loner, having learned that the only person you can depend on is yourself. (Hmm..what do you think cha?)
  • Your strength: Well developed stability and confidence (Ya...and being meticulous)
  • Your weakness: Suspicion of others (Betul oh ni)
  • Your power color: Eggplant (Enda tau la ni)
  • Your power symbol: Spade (This is crap)
  • Your power month: October (Maybe la)
If you want to find out the meaning of your own birth date, click on this link http://www.blogthings.com/  

No comments: