September 23, 2009

Pilot work

So it’s official – I’m going to start my pilot study tomorrow! I have gotten the green light from the Academic manager of College X and ten international students enrolled in an ESL course will become my samples. So far, everything is going according to plan. I know it’s no big deal, just a pilot study with 10 students, small scale really. But knowing how dramatically tensed I can get over the smallest thing, I’m not taking any chances and will make sure every aspect of this study is looked into. There’s no margin for error. If I sound pathetic, it’s just my way of saying "I'm freaking out!". After all, it has been quite some time since I walked into a classroom.

Everything has been prepared since Tuesday; the handouts, questionnaire, stop watch, candies (for reward), attire and my black stilettos that shout “I mean business!”. Today, I could’ve just stayed home. But it just didn’t feel right. I thought I should be doing something productive rather than spend time babysitting at home. So after dropping Alden off at Pre School, I headed to the office and to my delight, saw this on my table.


The tulips cheered me up. Marilyn (in pic) brought them because I told her I had never seen real ones in my life. So being the kind soul that she is, she brought a few varieties of tulips and put them on my table. Isn't she sweet?



I spent 15 minutes oggling at the tulips, paying more attention to the one with the crinkly petals. When Marilyn brought them in this morning, they were still closed. But as the temperature in the room got warmer, they began to open. According to Marilyn, they are closed in the morning, evening, and in the shade. They will only open in the sun or when the weather gets warm. Anyway, my favourite is the one in bi-colour; purple with tinges of white.

After revelling in my own sakainess for about an hour, I decided it was time to do work. It was already 3.00 p.m. and I only had 90 minutes before Alden got off from school. I started doing some revisions, looking at my measures and rehearsing the procedures for tomorrow. After 15 minutes, I was done. A chunk of the afternoon was then spent on the internet; chatting, reading blogs, yahoo news and checking my mails. What have I accomplished today? Pretty much nothing ;-)

At 4.50 p.m. I got out from the office and called it a day. A very short day.

Many fine things can be done in a day if we don't always make that day tomorrow. This is quite right. But in my case right now, those fine things will have to wait till tomorrow. I'll wake up early, spend an hour getting ready, meet my samples, follow all procedures and end the session with a box of Cadbury candies. I should be okay...que sera sera...

No comments: