Daylight Savings Time started at 2am yesterday. Like everyone else in NZ, I've lost an hour's sleep setting the clocks ahead. 2 am became 3 am. 2.01 am never existed. Confusing right?
So who's the moron who started DST?
It was George Vernon Hudson, an entomologist whose shift-work job gave him leisure time to collect insects, and led him to value after-hours daylight. In 1895 he presented a paper to the Wellington Philosophical Society proposing a two-hour daylight-saving shift, and after considerable interest was expressed in Christchurch, New Zealand he followed up in an 1898 paper.
Info taken from Wikipedia.
Why Do I hate DST? Let me count the ways.
1. It messes up my biological clock.
2. It messes up Alden's biological clock.
3. I lose an hour's sleep.
4. A cranky Alden loses an hour's sleep and ends up being sleepy in school.
5. There is now a 5-hour time difference between Malaysia and NZ (previously it was only 4 hours). This means skyping with family and friends during weekdays is close to impossible. By the time they get home from work, I'd be in bed.
6. It takes me a month to adjust to this insanity and after a few months (sometime in Autumn), I have to readjust when the clock moves backward.
It's a really stupid idea. Changing our clocks ahead one hour has totally no effect on the actual hours of daylight. It’s just a psychological thing. I prefer knowing the standard, real time than pretending it’s an hour later.